Thursday 13 January 2011

Jigsaw Puzzle

All Time Rehearsal Roller Coaster Low 
This post is on a bit of a sad note but I'm kind of finding blogging rather therapeutic lol.

In October my family was blessed with the arrival of a special little boy named Kane but his arrival wasn't as smooth as we had hoped and after 3 long weeks of fighting my brave little cousin passed away. I got the privilege of meeting Kane the day before he died and even though I only got to see him once, he made a HUGE impact on my life. I never knew that I could love someone so quickly. The power of the family bond is amazing and through this experience I have learnt that it isn't limited to just blood relatives. You don't realise how instantly these bonds are formed until they are tested.

They day that I got the news that Kane had passed I was in rehearsals. When I got that phone call I just fell to pieces. I didn't know what to do with myself, I didn't want to be alone but yet I didn't want to be around people. I felt like I was lost in limbo land. So I did the only thing that I thought I could do. I used my grief to write a song in memory of Kane and also for anybody who's ever lost someone. I wanted to give my family any kind of comfort so I did what I do best.

With the help of my talented piano playing friend Joe I wrote this song.

Kane's Song

Verse One
Sometimes angels they have to leave our sides
They can only stay for just a little while
Sometimes the loss we feel is a blessing in disguise
For the love that he gave us can never be denied

And I may never understand,
Why you had to leave
It's hard to accept through all the pain that I feel
But...

Chorus
You left your mark on my heart
It will never fade away
You've gone to a place
Where you can smile everyday
You left your mark on my heart

It will never fade away...
It will never fade away...

Verse Two
You're gone but your memory will survive
All I can say is that we are thankful for your life
We show our love for you in the tears that we cry
You touched all our hearts in this short amount of time

And I may never understand,
Why you had to leave
It's SO hard to accept through all the pain that I feel
But...

Chorus
You left your mark on my heart
It will never fade away
You've gone to a place
Where you can smile everyday
You left your mark on my heart

It will never fade away...
It will never fade away...

It will never fade away...
It will never fade away...

 (c) 2010 Chloe Iyayi

Special thanks to Joe who helped me turn my grief into a positive memorial for my cousin.
Joe we always make great tunes together xOxOx

I guess I think of myself now as a jigsaw puzzle. I'm only just now starting to feel like my pieces are coming back together again. As a band leader, the things that were going on in my life kind of a had a bit of a domino effect on the rest of my band. They could see and feel what I was going through and it was hard to keep myself motivated let alone the band.  I have been in so many pieces in my life! I have never been such a wreck.
 
How do you put yourself back together after such major damage? I guess only time will tell.

Do you put on a brave face and carry on? But when do you get the time or give yourself the time to really sort through what you're feeling if you don't let yourself feel it. Sometimes I would think to myself "Am I being cold hearted and inhuman for blocking it all out?"

I'm so happy and grateful that I have music in my life. Being a musician helped my to be productive and channel my feelings into something unique that I will never forget.

The best thing about being on the ups and downs of a roller coaster is that after a big plunge there is ALWAYS a climb back to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment